A blog about tabletop hobby and or strategy games, with a side order of electronic turn based goodness here and there. Now with tons of retro gaming content both electronic and tabletop. Also with 20% more self loathing douchebaggery!

Friday, September 3, 2010

[Review Corner] Dungeons & Dragons Desert of Athas Dungeon Tiles

As usual, click the picture for a bigger one.  If I keep saying this, maybe some folks will remember.  Yall know who I am talking to.








Of course I probably should have expected the set to miss the point of Dark Sun.  This is 4th edition Dungeons & Dragons.  Completely missing the point of the settings and D&D itself is mostly what 4th edition D&D DOES.

Though we already knew that from 3rd edition D&D as well.  One thing I have seen that a number of folks agree with me on is this about D&D and roleplaying itself:   Its not who your character IS, but WHAT THEY CAN DO MECHANICALLY.  Its always been there to a degree, but 3.0 D&D made it the defacto way to play.   Its not roleplaying or creativity, its making uber character builds and just following the rules to a T.

The design of WOTC D&D products follows this philosophy, and it shows in what they do to the settings and worlds of Dungeons & Dragons.  It misses the point and misses the spirit.

This tileset is just another example sadly.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Southeastern CT, United States
I like to play nerd games! I am a nerd! Join our nerd ways at https://www.facebook.com/groups/112040385527428/