A blog about tabletop hobby and or strategy games, with a side order of electronic turn based goodness here and there. Now with tons of retro gaming content both electronic and tabletop. Also with 20% more self loathing douchebaggery!

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Bringing Back the Rogue Trader Scenarios Part 2

When we last left off in uhh.. EARLY JULY I was slowly working on converting over scenarios from 1st ed 40k (Aka Rogue Trader) into 8th edition.  We continue now with a hot new way to play 40K back on the scene changing EVERYTHING.


(As always click for bigger images if you want.)
 First off my farm centerpiece model scenery came in the mail.

 Looks good and comes with REAL WOOD.  

 However you have to print the instructions from online.  Which is kinda lame.

 It took me way less than an hour to assemble this kit.  It goes together super easy and you just need some super glue.  Honestly with a little work 80% or so of this kit could be set up to disassemble and reassemble with something to thicken the joints to hold via friction ala floor polish or nail polish.   Yeah sadly only the outside of the model is color printed but its honestly fine for the price and need.  maybe go over the inside with a wash if it bothers you that much?

 I built mine in a way it is in two halves for more easy transport and use.   Plus if I do go through the inside with a wash it is now easy to do.  (Easier still would have been to go over the model while still on the sprue board as it were...)

 Showing it from one side with various hobby games miniatures.

 And the other side.  With mostly toys and nick knacks.

 But I need walls and stuff for my scenario ideas so I take a risk at a local hobby shop and buy these two sets.  1/35 scale is honestly pretty close to Warhammer 40K and its ever increasing SCALE CREEP.  Originally back in 1987 1/72 scale was the order of the day and it moved up to 1/48 by 3rd ed but now even 1/35 is cutting it close..  you will kind of see why later...

 I cannot read Japanese and sadly the images of doors and windows for the wall set is incorrect.  But it gives you basic instructions for the models.

 And what the boxes give you.  Its more or less modular bits.  

 The sandbag set was a massive pain.  Gate cleaning then all these mold lines.  So many mold lines.  Too many mold lines.

 The wall set like the big Plast Craft thingie could honestly be set for friction fit but again I am lazy and bad.  But that 2-3rd ed era Storm Trooper dude shows how even in the late 90s GW Scale Creep is huge.  That or the walls are undersized from the back of their box.

 It took a bit of time but I made two sets of reasonably sized sandbag defenses.

 And even raided those old Halo boardgame fences and gave em some spraypaint.  Might eventually go with some kind of electric blue so its like an electric or laser fence.  

 And showing the spraypainted quicky jobs I did on the colored plastic.  Plus the hard glue bits I did to the wall segments.  For once my bad luck with paint/primer gave me a happy accident as it made my sandbags... SANDY.  

But then KILL TEAM 8TH EDITION happened and I had an idea to switch my tutorial stuff over to that.  So for giggles I look into some of the newer models to maybe make some cheap quickie tutorial Kill Teams.

 These Easy Build infantry sets are 3-6 minis for 15 bucks and come pre colored with 40K Power Level rules in the box.  These self same minis are also in the two cheaper 8th edition starter sets.


 Nice of them to show you what each dude is armed with on the side.  

 And even handy instructions for these no glue needed models!  Though you probably want to use some.  

 In working up the Nurgle Kill Team I see I could use a good close combat guy but the minis don't exactly have the options the normal (50-60 dollar) squad boxes do.  So I raid my bits boxes and decide to make a weapon for one of them!)
 I also own myself by spending 25 bucks for an Icon Bearer mini.  That fancy blue robot there?  ONLY 20 DOLLARS AND PARTIALLY TRANSFORMS WITH A CUTE BABY VERSION OF ITSELF HIDING INSIDE IT WITH TONS OF ARTICULATION.

 But back to my homemade PLAGUE AXE.  Get out my cheap little mini glue gun, do some cutting and plastic cementing...

 And a legend is born.  THE LEGEND OF THE SMEGMATIC CORRUPTOR.


I am no longer in this Something Awful Warhammer Discord because they are way left of me (even though IRL I am called a LIBERAL as if it is a slur) and they are a bit too fanboy for Games Workshop.  Plus I was spending too much time in the channel and I have so many ways to waste my time like the idiot with low attention span that I am!

 Some wash over a matte pink that was put on way too thick (see the gunner upper left) and I think they look great as is.  I am almost afraid I will mess them up if I paint any more on them!

But as I did not buy the nifty new Kill Team box set full of lovely semi modular plastic terrain I also need to use what I own.  I am pretty set especially as we will see next time how the two bottom boxes are effectively TWO SETS OF TERRAIN IN EACH BOX.

But this post is already long as hell so it shall end here.  And I have another seven day in a row work schedule which is a thing I have had multiple times this Summer so I must pause here.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Southeastern CT, United States
I like to play nerd games! I am a nerd! Join our nerd ways at https://www.facebook.com/groups/112040385527428/